Thursday, October 05, 2006

Spanning cultures with a can


Getting out the dessert plates for our fruit salad last night, Michelle said, "Right, I think we definitely need some whipped cream." My eyes glimmered. Anyone who knows me will know why, and if you don't then let's just say I never exactly grew out of my childhood can-to-mouth whipped cream spraying phase, and could devour a can toute seule (by myself), and still go back for more.

But my hope faded when she didn't open the fridge and search the upper shelves for that magical metal can. Instead she asked me to run downstairs for the real variety....she actually consumed whipped cream as it's description implies: cream that is whipped, not the gas propelled chemical variety that I know and love.

As the food processor was whirring, I told her about the Redi-whip American variety, and how someday we'll have to have it so she can try what I know and love as "whipped cream." She gave me a quizzical look and replied, "I know that, we have it here too. It's just that if we are going to have it, we have to plan ahead."

Utter confusion on my part, yet she continued.

"We have to have it on a night where we all eat together, and preferable have guests. That way there won't be any leftover to tempt us. I could easily eat the whole can by myself."

No wonder me and Michelle get along so well, we both have the "whipped cream binge" gene. I burst out laughing, telling her that I am exactly the same way. I feel relieved that other women, especially successful, smart, professional women, have also finished an entire can in one sitting (or standing). I think to the time when I went for a bike ride, with the sole purpose of stopping at Krogers to buy my favorite brand, and promptly returning to reward my exercise with some fluffy goodnes. I feel like less of a freak knowing there are other women (probably from every continent) who have in some way or another engaged in exactly the same behavior.

And being reassured of that simple knowledge is more comforting than 10 cans could ever be, knowing no matter where you are or what you do, you're not alone.

No comments: