Thursday, August 17, 2006

First day out

Ooops. I vowed I would write more regularly, and tomorrow will be 2 weeks and I haven't written one thing from Genève. But for good reason. I'm taking care of my two boys Toby, 4 and Benji, 6 for between 11 and 12 hours a day. Mornings start around 7:30, and their parents don't come home till 6:30 or 7pm. And even when they come home, I still feel obligated to hang aroud and play with them and tell thei parents about everything we did. Sometimes, it feels like when their mom comes home, it's like a scene where the director is saying aaaaaaaand ACTION! Then I proceed to reinact the day, compete with artifacts (drawings, paintings, alphabets), or pictures from the park. It's not really until the kids are in bed (830ish) that I feel like I can take a big, deep relaxing breath and go do my own thing.

So now that I got that out....let me talk about how cool it is here. I LOVE all the architecture, the buildings are unbelievable. My house is from the 1700s, and has all these small little rooms with walls pointing in and up b/c they are little turrets! I always used to dream about living in an old house with so much history and possibly even secret passages.....and now I do!

My room is pretty cool too-- a very big loft type space with stairs leading up to a nice bathroom. ALthough it's just a tub and a shower head (Marc and Michelle forgot to buy a shower curtain). The result: I have not managed one bath/shower where I don't spend more time drying everywhere I've sprayed than actually taking a shower (this will hopefully be remedied with a trip to Ikea this weekend, keep your fingers crossed for me).

So on my first half-day off (today) I finally got to get out and explore. I rollerbladed all over the city-- on the banks of le Lac Léman, through the botanical gardins, by the Palais des nations (UN), and through lots of little residential "quartiers (neighborhoods)."

Pics:
Benji and Toby- after they built a tower taller than me!
View of Geneva from the promenade by the lake. Jolie, euh?

No comments: